Here are several popular tips for keeping your garbage disposal clean, deodorized, and sanitized:
- Drop several ice cubes down your garbage disposal before running it.
- Some homeowners recommend freezing vinegar ice cubes and using those instead of plain water. The ice helps not only clean up the disposal but the blades themselves.
- Citrus rinds (our favorites: lemon, lime, grapefruit, orange) may be placed in your garbage disposal and run to not only break up built-on food debris but to deodorize the system as well.
- A mix of equal parts white vinegar and baking soda may be poured down the disposal at the same time as boiling water to clean and deodorize.
- A garbage disposal brush is an inexpensive way to perform routine maintenance on your garbage disposal without the use of other materials.
- To prevent future build-up, always run cold water while you run your disposal and for several seconds afterwards.
- And remember to run your garbage disposal regularly, even if you're not getting rid of big pieces of debris. Crumbs, fluids, and small pieces of food can still attach to your sink, disposal, and drain, so flush it down regularly. A little squirt of dish soap can help to remove minor odors before they become nasty.